Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Volkswagen XL1 Super Efficient Vehicle


The third car to emerge from VW’s efficient vehicle study program, the XL1 is a hybrid using an 800cc TDI two-cylinder diesel engine of 47bhp linked to a 27bhp electric motor.

The modest 74bhp total is compensated by the mere 795kg weight of the car, thanks to much of it being built in carbon fibre.

A seven-speed DSG gearbox is fitted and the electric motor can power the car alone for up to 22 miles before the diesel engine cuts in.

The car offers 0-62mph times of 11.9 seconds and an electronically-limited top speed of 99mph. The eco figures are likely to be of most interest, however, VW quoting combined cycle fuel economy of 313mpg and CO2 emissions of just 24g/km.

The XL1 is visually striking in terms of styling. But just as much of the prototype’s shape was determined in the wind tunnel as it was on a designers sketchpad. All of the attention in the wind tunnel was towards reducing the drag (Cd) on the car as it moves through the air. Less drag translates to more efficiency. As a comparison, the aerodynamic drag of the XL1 is 2.5 times lower than a current model Golf.

full article

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I'm dealing with some of these issues as well..

my web site :: Visit here

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about publishing an ebook or guest authoring on other sites?
I have a blog centered on the same ideas you discuss and would really like to
have you share some stories/information. I know my
readers would value your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.

my site: more info

Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I truly believe this amazing site needs much more attention.
I'll probably be back again to see more, thanks for the advice!

Take a look at my webpage More information

Anonymous said...

Hello there, I discovered your site by the use of Google at the same
time as searching for a comparable topic, your site came
up, it looks good. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
Hi there, simply became alert to your weblog via Google, and located that it's truly informative.

I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful for those who
continue this in future. Numerous folks will probably be benefited from your writing.

Cheers!

Also visit my blog: click the site

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed! Very useful info particularly the last part :) I care for such info much. I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Also visit my webpage; more info